- 2 small onions cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 2 red bell peppers peeled and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium eggplant sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick, slices then cut in quarters
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, then halved
- 15 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4-1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil; more as needed
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Position racks at top and bottom thirds of the oven and heat to 400°F. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss all vegetables except the tomatoes with olive oil, rosemary, and 1 tsp. salt. Spread the vegetables onto the sheets.
- Roast, stirring the vegetables every 15 minutes, until they begin browning, about 45 minutes. If the vegetables look dry, or begin to burn, drizzle on a little olive oil and push them closer together.
- Divide the tomatoes between the pans and continue to roast until the tomatoes soften and shrink and the other vegetables are well-browned, another 30 to 50 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add basil