It’s Naturopathic Medicine Week. Here are some interesting facts about naturopathic medicine and naturopathic doctors. Know someone struggling with health concerns? Pass this on. The naturopathic approach might be just what they need.
1. We are recognized medical providers; trained professionals who clinically treat patients through a natural approach.
2. Naturopathic Doctors (NDs) must earn an undergraduate degree, complete four years of post-graduate training at an approved school of Naturopathic Medicine and pass rigorous, standardized North American licensing exams.
3. We’re trained to reduce the risk of disease, a fundamental aim of Naturopathic Medicine.
4. We’re trained to diagnose. We do annual checkups. We order lab tests. We can prescribe clinically tested medicines. We can refer you to other health professionals, if required.
5. We work in hospitals, clinics, corporations and private practice. Some of us play an active role in federal health initiatives. We work collaboratively with oncologists, radiologists, surgeons and researchers to address the needs of those seeking complementary care for living with cancer.
6. You don’t have to choose! You’re not turning your back on conventional medicine. We’re a vibrant part of Canada’s healthcare system — a system that allows for the best of both worlds. Those worlds are complementary.
There’s a place for our natural focus …
1. Did you know? A natural focus is actually at the core of all world medicine.
2. Naturopathic Medicine dates back 2,400 years to Hippocrates who used nature to stimulate the body’s natural healing power.
3. Today, Naturopathic Medicine blends scientific knowledge with traditional and natural medicine.
4. We don’t just treat symptoms. Our natural focus allows us to look at your physical and emotional makeup, environment and lifestyle — all keys to unlocking the underlying cause of illness.
5. Who’s a candidate for Naturopathic Medicine? Everyone! Patients looking for:
- Health promotion
- Disease prevention
- Help with symptoms that conventional medicine has been unable to address
- Supportive and/or adjunctive treatments for those diagnosed with any illness
- Help managing a chronic condition or life-threatening illness
- Help minimizing the side effects of drugs, surgery, or other conventional treatments.
Health is a life-long process and it doesn’t happen by chance – so everyone’s a candidate for Naturopathic Medicine.